Sunday, October 28, 2012

Week 4 - Reflections: A lot of reading and writing

This week I started my homework on Tuesday as I was not at home on Monday for safety reasons; I was  away with the family at my parents' house but unfortunately with no internet connection. I was back to my daily routine on Tuesday and commenced with my tasks.

I started with my readings since I feel that they always give the necessary foundation for the upcoming tasks. Margo Dill's article on "How to Write an Integrated Lesson Plan" was an eye-opener on the elements to consider when technology is augmented in any lesson plan. Jarek Krajka's article on "Using the Internet on ESL Writing" was the highlight of my readings, for teaching writing is my favorite. It included very practical ideas on how to teach different writing genres with the help of technology. It also included very useful references to websites. On the other hand, Mei-Ya Liang's article on "Three Extensive Reading Activities for ESL/EFL Students Using E-books " focused on how to choose books, share and evaluate them while involving the students in the process.

The second task was a website exploration, specifically on  reading, writing, and vocabulary skills. My delicious page is growing as a result. I feel overwhelmed with the numerous available choices that leaves the teacher compelled to choose according to the needs of his/her students. The world of technology is vast with its offerings but one has to be cautious not to get too carried away and just skim to get the cream of each site.

Most of my energy got consumed in preparing an integrated lesson plan with a technological component. I looked at samples from the Baltimore County Public Schools as suggested which gave me a number of ideas to emulate.

The last task is to re-visit a class issue or problems that technology might help with, and that made me think of the needs related to my students and myself.

Ironically, working through our tasks in Week 4 involved a lot of reading and writing!

Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment