Sunday, November 4, 2012

Week 5 - Course Mid-Point!

I cannot believe that we are halfway in the course! For the past five weeks I learned a lot about web skills, but the fifth week was the climax. It is when we are starting to think practically about the inclusion of technology in our courses at present and possibly also in the future.

I started with the readings specified for this week beginning with alternative assessment methods which I am somehow familiar with but gained knowledge in learning about their specific attributes variety and timing of use. The highlight was the Rubistar website for it helps any teacher whether a novice or a professional create a rubric in a simplified way since it has variety of samples, ready-made criteria, and the option of including one's own. When I made one of my own that suits a writing task for a course that I am presently teaching, I felt a great sense of achievement. The fact that a tailor-made rubric is within reach is a great relief!

The second focus of my readings were on project-based learning and web quests.  I learned a lot about their nature, elements, and means of evaluation when using them. After going through many articles and websites on those topics, I got excited about adopting them in my courses. I immediately felt I want to try at least one project or web quest in one of my courses at the moment. I started envisioning one but I want to think about its execution in depth before I go ahead and try it. I also felt that teachers have very responsible roles in selecting topics dividing the work between members of a group and thinking of evaluating them, but I am in total agreement with Susan Gaer that this will lead to more learning.

Even though this is an online rather than a face-to-face course, I have come to feel that I know the teachers who are taking this course with me. By discussions on nicenet, reacting to blog posts, and sharing our concerns, I feel we are all in the same boat on this no matter how far we are from one another; I always find a similarity either in the kind of students we teach, the approaches we follow, and the difficulties that we confront, and this is healing!

Looking forward to week 6....

A view of the Mediteranean sea and of the city of Beirut from our balcony
Paula

PS. Sandy made the news this week. As we were all watching how wild nature can be, we in Beirut are still experiencing a pleasant fall season and for that we are thankful. I would like to share with you a better image of where I live than the one I earlier posted following the car bomb.

The "crazy" plant as we call it in Lebanon, at the gate of my kids' School.
Is it following or defying the road sign?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Paula!

    I really like your photos, better to post nice things than the bad ones. I am also from the Mediterranean, Croatia, we also still have beautiful time. I only started wearing long sleeves. Nice to see someone else is enjoying the sun...

    Ivana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Paula.

    I agree that we have really gotten to know each other through this course, even though it is online. The various exchanges that we have are helpful. I even feel like I have made some 'friends' too through this course!

    Like Ivana, I LOVE your photos. I cannot believe that is the view from your veranda. Gorgeous. I wish I had a view like that. I live on campus and overlook a garbage dump and some other high rise buildings. It is pretty depressing. China is such a dirty place. My 5-year old daughter asked this morning, "Mommy, why is China so dirty and America so clean?" It was hard to answer, needless to say!

    It is also still summer here. I have to buy the "winter uniform" for my kids this week, as the schools require them, but in fact, it is still too warm. I bought some heaters this weekend, but they will stay in boxes for while longer. Let's enjoy the sun while we can!

    Good luck in week 6.

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that week 5 felt like the climax of the course for you thus far. It is the culmination of everything you've been learning finally being applied in your classes. Your enthusiasm for Rubistar was shared by many this week. Isn't it wonderful when we can find a tool that saves time and makes our lives simpler?!?!

    I particularly like how you shared your thoughts about the sense of community and camaraderie that you feel through this course. Even though we are so far away, we are able to connect on so many levels. Of course we are working toward the same objectives for this course, but as you said, it is "healing" to share our experiences both good and bad of being teachers.

    Thanks for sharing the pictures of your beautiful home as well. There is a great sense of both power and peace that comes from being near the sea. I find that "healing"!

    ReplyDelete